In the Case of Loss or Damage

What you must do immediately in the event of loss or damage:

  1. Remain calm.
  2. Listen to the radio and follow any instructions given.
  3. Help your neighbours as much as possible.
  4. If possible, arrange provisional protective measures to prevent further damage from occurring (duty to minimise damage: e.g. switch off gas and mains water supplies, switch off electrical devices).
  5. Submit a damage report to your cantonal buildings insurance company.
  6. Submit a damage report to your house contents insurance company.
  7. Document the damage (often carried out by insurance company): make a visual record of the damage, record daily expenses in writing.  

Buildings insurance

The cantonal buildings insurance companies provide homeowners and tenants in 19 cantons with protection against the economic consequences of damage caused to buildings by fire and natural forces. The cover provided by the buildings insurance system is based on the combination of preventive fire and natural forces protection and reinstatement value under the uniform management of the cantonal public law institutes.


All cantonal buildings insurance companies at a glance (in German):

› kgvonline


The group of cantons known as the GUSTAVO cantons (Geneva, Uri, Schwyz, Ticino, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Valais, Obwalden) are cantons in which the buildings insurance can be taken out with private companies instead of a cantonal insurance company.

House contents insurance

House contents insurance insures all mobile objects belonging to a homeowner and/or his or her family members. In addition to their property, any objects they have lent, leased or rented out are also insured. The level of compensation paid depends on the individual insurance policy.

Duty to minimise damage

Building owners are obliged to ensure that the damage arising from a hazard event is minimised as much as possible (pumping water, cleaning and drying etc.).