Measures against landslides
- Reinforcement of floor slabs and external walls in existing buildings.
- Installation of drainage pipes for rainwater, slope drainage.
- Planting of slopes that are vulnerable to landslides with deep-rooted trees and shrubs.
- Drainage and/or grading of slope profiles increase the shear resistance
- Supporting structures such as anchors and piles (pinning of the slip plane) can restrain landslides
- Removal of material in the 'driving' section, or material deposition in the 'braking' section, can prevent further descent of the sliding body
- Protective forest
Planning measures and local protection
- The use of slopes prone to landslides must be avoided, or uses suitably modified
- Hydraulic and electrical connections must be flexible.
- The relatively long advance warning period permits timely evacuation.